Current Source Inverters Advantages And Disadvantages
Current Source Inverters Advantages
- Capable of regeneration back to the a.c. line because of d.c. link polarity can be reversed.
- Large d.c. link filter inductor and regulated power supply act as a current limiter, making it easier to apply protective fuses.
- Ability to ride through power-link interruptions.
- The converter-grade thyristors are sufficient.
- Current source inverters do not generate radiofrequency interference.
Current Source Inverters Disadvantages
- Cogging can occur at speeds below 6 Hz.
- D.C. link filter inductor is large, costly, and contributes to losses and enclosure size.
- Can cause high voltage spikes on motor terminals.
- Usually not possible to use with more than one motor.
- Motor power factor appears on the incoming line to the controllers.
- Voltage clamping devices lower overall efficiency.
- It May require special tuning to motor parameters.