Development of Roads in India
India is the largest country. india required roads for transport. so we are discussing Development of Roads in India
- The first road on which there is some authentic record is that of the Assyrian empire constructed by about 1900 B.C.
- The Appian Way was built in 312 B.C. extending over 580 km which illustrate the road building techniques used by Romans.
- Tresaguet construction was adopted in France in the year 1775 during the regime of Napolean. Tresaguet was the Inspector general of roads in France from 1775 to 1785 and he developed this construction procedure.
- Metcalf was responsible for the construction of about 290km of road m the northern m road region of England during the time of Tresaguet.
- Telford (1757-1834) provided a definite cross slope for the top surface of the pavement by varying the thickness of foundation stones in England.
- John Macadam forwarded an entirely new method of road construction as compared to other .on the roads of England in 1815.
- Macadam contraction was modified to for one of the most prevalent constructions known as water Bound Macadam (WBM).
- In India, in 1866 under Lord Dalhousie. The public water department was formed.