Hello Friend Today We Are Discuss About Settling Principle And Purpose. Settling is Important topic in civil engineering
The solid-liquid separation process in which a suspension is separated into two phases:
- Clarified supernatant leaving the top of the sedimentation tank (overflow).
- Concentrated sludge leaving the bottom of the sedimentation tank (underflow).
purpose of Settling
- To remove coarse dispersed phase.
- To remove coagulated and Hocculated impurities.
- To remove precipitated impurities after chemical ‘ treatment.
- To settle the sludge (biomass) after activated sludge process/tricking filters
Principle of Settling
- Suspended solids present in water having a specific gravity greater than that of water tend to settle down by gravity as soon as turbulence is retarded by offering storage.
- Basin in Which the flow is retarded is called settling tank.
- The theoretical average time that the water is retained within the subsidence tank is asked the detention period.