Penetration Test Process
- The bitumen lS softened to a poor rm g consistency stirred thoroughly and poured into containers to a depth of at least 15 mm in excess of the expected penetration.
- The sample containers are then placed in a temperature-controlled water bath at a temperature of 25 degrees C for one hour.
- The sample with the container is taken out and the needle is arranged to make contact with the surface of the sample.
- The dial is set .to zero or the initial reading is taken and the needle is released for 5 seconds.
- The final reading is taken on a dial gauge.
- [Note Atheist 3 penetration tests are made on this. sample by testing at distances of at least 10 mm apart. ]
- After each test, the needle is disengaged and wiped with benzene and dried.
- The depth of penetration is reported in One-tenth millimeter units.